National Park Service – Spring Hill Ranch House

Built in 1881, the Spring Hill Ranch House, located within Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, is Second Empire style architecture constructed using a wide range of materials including white limestone, a distinctive material to eastern Kansas. There are three floors of living space in the ranch house, with an additional service floor located between the first and second floor. The walls in the living space are plaster, and eight rooms and three halls in the house feature varied molded plaster cornices. The elaborate stairway post and stair railing are walnut; the remaining woodwork in the house is grained pine.

Working with Anderson Hallas Architects and the National Park Service, 360 Engineering addressed humidity concerns within the Ranch House to preserve the historic fabrics and features. Multiple site visits were conducted to supply the National Park Service with the optimal mechanical solutions which included standalone dehumidifier units and a Direct Expansion (DX) cooling system.

Location

Strong City, Kansas

Owner

National Park Service

Client

Anderson Hallas Architects

Category

Community
Federal